Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Old Dog Project: In for the long haul

When Tom Staskus works on his own game, it’s so he can compete and win, because he plays for money.

I’ll never play for real money, but I do keep score, every round, and I know what my partners shoot, even if we’re not head-to-head. For me, The Old Dog Project is not about winning more, though it’s hard not to believe Staskus can help a guy be tougher in a competitive setting.

Staskus, an accomplished playing pro as well as teacher, carefully reserves a niche in his crowded schedule for his regular Thursday game at Capitol City with Steve McNelly, GM at Capitol City Golf Club, and Jon McCaslin, a talented local amateur. It’s just a game with his buds, but Staskus keeps the date – because it keeps him in a competitive frame of mind.

“Do I have the time to do this? No,” he says. “Do I make the time? Yes.”

I’d like to get to a place where I can get out of my head in this most inward of games, to think the right thoughts by effectively thinking no thoughts at all.

If that sounds a little woo-woo, we do have concrete goals for The Old Dog Project. The short-term target, once I set out to play actual rounds of golf, is to break 90 for the first time. It’s a threshold I get damnably close to, on a good day, and if that was all I was after I wouldn’t bother with bothering Staskus.

A better, more lasting goal is to make steady incremental reductions in my USGA handicap index. Staskus says I’m selling myself short by setting 18 (bogey golf) as a rough goal: he says he can get me well below that.

If we get there, I’ll say, Tom, you’re a better teacher than I could have imagined.

Staskus is in for the long haul on this – four or five lessons won’t make a dent. We might do 40 or 50.

“You can’t do anything in life that doesn’t take work,” he says.

The story of a flaky old dog, unwilling to settle for bad golf for the rest of his life, might resonate with somebody out there.

There’s nothing I can do about being flaky and old. What I do about the golf over the next few months promises to be fun, at the very least, and fun is not a word much associated with my golf game for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment