Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Old Dog Project: This time with company

Test No. 2 – March 6, 2011
Eagles Pride at Fort Lewis was pretty in the half-sunlight in my first round with other people and a scorecard since this project started. My game was not half bad about half the time.

Staskus had worked me hard the day before, with more golf swings, with and without a ball, in quick succession, than in any previous lesson.

Even when he’s being pretty specific, Staskus likes to keep it simple. When he’s speaking generally, he’s even simpler: You don’t have to swing hard to hit it hard; watch the club hit the ball; and finish your swing. So take it to the course, dumbass.

I wrote down all the big numbers on the front nine, and they added up to a really big number. It wasn’t all bad – there were a few times I heard the “snick” of a well-struck ball – but too often it was back to bad habits.

On the back nine, I started swinging easier and stopped swaying back on my takeaway (I tried to “stay in my hip,” in Staskus’s words) and I broke 50, with a few strokes to spare.

Not perfect, but it never will be. My misses were better, and that I count as progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment